If you need additional living space and your home has a porch, you’re in luck! Enclosing that exterior porch could be a simple, cost-effective way to gain the space you want.
Benefits of Enclosing an Exterior Porch
You can gain space without eliminating the yard and often, a portion of the structural work is already in place. Be sure that it will not detract from the style of your home. Enclosing a porch on some bungalows or Victorians could be a mistake if it destroys much of the home’s sought-after charm.
Side porches can be easily converted into home offices, playrooms, or den/family rooms. Rear porches are ideal for adding space to extend your kitchen. With energy efficient windows, any porch can be converted into a light-filled “Florida” room that’s enclosed for year-round enjoyment.
Give us a call to talk about the work needed. The porch’s location, its wall and floor materials, and the condition of the existing foundation will influence the ease or difficulty of modifying a porch.
Your work may include:
- Insulating walls and ceilings. How much and the type of insulation used depends in part on the existing structure and the room’s function.
- Adding or replacing windows with energy-efficient models. A professional can determine if window frames can be salvaged to reduce replacement costs. Remember to match or complement your home’s existing window styles.
- Plumbing. The proximity of the room to existing plumbing will greatly impact the difficulty and cost of installing plumbing.
- Electrical wiring and fixtures. Build in all immediate and future electrical lines from the outset to avoid costly revisions later.
- Drywall, flooring, and millwork.
- Details such as door and window trim, chair railings, and moldings can make the difference between a room that looks finished—or one that simply looks like an enclosed porch.
- An important consideration is the heating and cooling system. While some homes may have systems that can accommodate additional rooms others may need a supplement. Baseboard heating is an option. However, although it is easy to install, this type of heating is expensive to operate. Consider, also, a wood-burning stove. New models are efficient, attractive, and can heat a large room easily. We can help you decide how best to supply heating and cooling to your new space.
Start your New Home Addition Project!
If you have a home with a porch and need additional space, you have all the ingredients you need to create a beautiful new room. Work with professionals for your home additions in Birmingham and surrounding areas. We have executed many exterior remodeling projects creating a beautiful addition to homes.
What’s keeping you from getting started? Contact us!