According to the 2021 Houzz and Home Report, home remodeling projects have increased over the past couple of years. And the number of homeowners planning to renovate this year is the highest since 2017. The second most popular room to upgrade is the bathroom, with 24 percent of homeowners performing a bathroom upgrade in 2021.
During this time, homeowners have been spending more time at home. We’re also using our homes differently – adjusting to lifestyle changes that accommodate our need for at-home workspace, exercise space, and additional house guests, for starters. When it comes to the bathroom, we’re turning to this personal space as more than a place to bathe, but also as an important source of wellness and relaxation.
With now 44 percent of homeowners ready to remodel a bathroom, demand has increased. Add to that fluctuating lumber prices and delayed construction starts due to supply chain issues, and there are a few shifts causing a slight increase in bathroom remodeling costs today.
Our design and construction team has put together some details to help you assess not only what type of remodel you might be looking for, but also how much you can expect a bathroom remodel to cost in Southeast Oakland County.
Factors that determine the cost of a remodel
Many factors go into pricing a remodeling job and most projects fall into three cost categories: basic, mid-range, and luxury. The items that determine the cost of these projects vary. “The wide range of materials and fixtures available allows for endless customization, but the price points can vary widely,” says Christine Ramaekers, certified kitchen designer and co-owner of MainStreet Design Build.
Other items that impact the cost of a project include:
- Quality of materials
- Scope of work
- Relocation of utilities
- The age of the home
- Any hidden damage found during construction
For such a complex project, it’s essential to partner with the right design-builder. A savvy contractor will use a state-of-the-art project management software with a homeowner portal for real-time communication. Even so, because of these fluctuations and the many options to choose from, we want to provide you with a budget range you can expect for a basic, mid-range, or luxury bathroom project.
A Basic Bathroom Remodel: $20,000-$35,000
A basic bathroom remodel keeps the existing footprint in place without relocating any utilities and pretty much gives your space a facelift. You may replace all the fixtures with in-stock options. New paint, flooring, lighting, and other hardware will make this space new and fresh.
For your basic bathroom upgrade, you may choose to:
- Paint existing cabinets or replace them with in-stock ones
- Swap out towel bars, shower rod, and other fittings
- Replace countertops with laminate or standard granite
- Install a prefabricated shower unit
- Replace plumbing fittings and lighting fixtures
- Keep tile to a minimum
- Paint the entire room
A Mid-Range Bathroom Remodel: $35,000-$50,000
“A mid-range bathroom remodeling project typically involves keeping the existing footprint in place and not relocating any plumbing or electrical,” says Ramaekers. Instead, the change comes from updating the fixtures and materials. And when guided by a professional designer, a moderate upgrade is always fabulous. According to the 2021 Cost vs. Value Report, a Detroit homeowner can expect a 45.5 percent return on investment for a mid-range bathroom remodel. So, if you’re planning to sell sometime soon, your remodel is still a cost-effective option.
In addition, unlike a minor bathroom remodel, you can:
- Replace all fixtures with upgraded models, including the tub and toilet
- Include upgrades to the shower and tub options
- Create a custom shower enclosure with frameless glass doors
- Install tile on walls and flooring with accent tile in the shower
- Install semi-custom cabinetry
- Replace countertops with natural stone or quartz
- Include a recessed medicine cabinet with light
- Replace doors and windows
- Upgrade all plumbing and electrical
- Paint everything else
A Custom, Major Bathroom Remodel: $50,000+
A custom, luxury renovation often involves changing the existing layout or expanding the footprint by borrowing space from a nearby room. Depending on the design, you may choose to include a small addition to accommodate must-haves like a large soaking tub, dual shower, or a marble-topped custom dual vanity. Enlarging the space or changing the layout will require moving plumbing and electrical lines. While these modifications call for a more significant investment, a Detroit homeowner can recoup 42.7 percent on an upscale bathroom remodel. And, you’ll have a modern, spacious bathroom where you can escape the cares of the world for years to come.
For a luxury bathroom remodel, you can expect to do the following:
- Expand existing square footage
- Relocate all fixtures
- Create a custom shower enclosure with ceramic tile walls, accent tiles, recessed bottle holders, luxury fittings, and a frameless glass enclosure
- Include freestanding soaker tub with high-end faucets
- Install custom-made vanity cabinet with high-grade stone countertop, dual sinks, and two mirrored medicine cabinets with lighting
- Include additional custom cabinetry for storage
- Create a separate water closet with a one-piece toilet
- Install custom ceramic tile floor with tile base molding
- Include professionally-installed, layered lighting, including in the shower
- Install radiant electric, in-floor heating, and heated towel bars
- Install new solid wood windows and doors
- Add smart options for the heating, lighting, and exhaust
MainStreet Design Build is a luxury design-build firm serving the Southeast Oakland County area. Its professional team specializes in mid-level to custom bathroom remodels. Team members work with you to develop a workable plan, and their project management software assists you throughout the project.
Visit their photo gallery for inspiration and ideas on creating your dream, spa-like bathroom. Then, schedule an in-person or virtual design consultation today to discuss your project in more detail.
Also, note that during this time of COVID-19, MainStreet Design Build puts the health and safety of its employees, clients, and contractors above all else by implementing an Exposure, Prevention, Preparedness, and Response plan.