There are two major components to any remodeling project – the design phase and the build phase. You have a choice to use a separate resource for each phase or use one company that manages both phases. An example of the first is to use an architect to draw up your plans and then find contractors to do the actual construction work from those plans. In contrast, a design/build firm will manage both the design phase and the construction phase of your project.
Design Build companies offer several advantages over the multiple-company model:
One Resource for All of Your Needs
- Working with one company from start to finish means that the responsibility and accountability lies with one firm for all of your design and construction work
- One point of contact for all questions and communications as the project moves forward
- Less chance of confusion between the person that designed the space and the contractors that will construct the space. No finger pointing between multiple parties if something goes wrong or doesn’t
- Redesign work tends to be minimal as much of the work is done up front. Any project refinements during the construction phase can be quickly discussed and appropriately addressed or implemented.
More Experience with Both Phases
- Design Build firms know the cost of materials and labor. They take these costs into consideration as they develop a design that works within your budget range. Surprises and budget overruns are less likely
due to detailed planning.
- They are accustomed to being “in” the space, not just creating blueprints. A construction background gives the designer a better perspective on the use of the space. They are experienced in creating “the
final result” of their designs.
- Design Build firms understand project timing and scheduling. They are familiar with permits, lead times and how long each task should take to complete. These firms also have relationships with suppliers and tradesmen they can refer to during the design process. All of this adds up to better timing for the completion of your project.
MainStreet Design Build is a full service design build firm. We’re with you every step of the way. From project concept to completion, you deal with just one company, committed to quality and excellence in your project.